NIA tightens noose around Zakir Naik after aides expose him

181 Views

Mumbai: In more trouble for NRI televangelist Dr Zakir Naik, the National Investigating Agency (NIA) is likely to question him after his close accomplishes revealed how he operated the accounts of his NGO Islamic Research Foundation for terror-related activities.
Meanwhile, Atif Muzzafar, a terror case accused arrested by the NIA, had also reportedly confessed that he was inspired by Naik's hate speeches.
According to News18.com, Atif Muzzafar had told the NIA that the Kanpur train blast was the result of Zakir Naik’s hate speeches.
Naik's aides had revealed before the NIA how he used his NGO for hawala operation.
He had transferred crores from his overseas account using his sister and wife’s Indian accounts, they had disclosed.
Naik has been on-the-run since terror blasts in Dhaka, and his properties worth crores of Rupees may be attached if he doesn’t appear before the NIA for questioning.
Of Naik’s 21 properties, 13 are in Mumbai’s Mazgaon area. The largest property is 18000-sq yard agriculture land in Raigad district.
The NIA, which claims that it has enough proof against the Islamic preacher, is now expected to send summons to Zakir Naik for questioning him on charges of spreading communal hatred and inciting terror acts through his speeches.
Dr Naik, who is under scanner over alleged terror-related activities, had recently refuted all such allegations and claimed that he is instead a messenger of peace.
Breaking his silence on a wide range of allegations made against IRF and the Peace TV owned by him, Naik said on Thursday that he is not a terrorist but someone who spreads the message of peace.
Naik was reacting to the Centre's five-year ban against his organisation – the Islamic Research Foundation - and freezing of its accounts.
In an interview with Malay daily 'Sinar Harian' at its Karangkraf office in Shah Alam, the 50-year-old founder of the IRF chief said, “I have never done a rebellion or conducted terrorist acts against humans all my life. I only deliver a message of peace to people.”
“There are certain quarters who do not want peace in this world. So, they make baseless allegations against me,” he added.
Speaking on five-year ban on his organisation IRF and prosecution on terrorism charges, Naik said, “I ask the Indian government to prosecute me in an international court or in Malaysia.”
The reactions from Naik came in the backdrop of the Delhi high Court dismissing his plea and ruling that the Centre's decision to ban IRF was taken to safeguard sovereignty of India.
While delivering its order, the Delhi HC said, the Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) has sufficient material for imposing the ban.
National Investigation Agency (NIA) had earlier summoned Zakir Naik to appear before it on March 14 in connection with the ongoing probe.

SHARE

COMMENTS