Student protests continue; HS schools too asked to remain shut today


Srinagar, Apr 20: Classes in colleges across Kashmir remained suspended as a precautionary measure for the third consecutive day in wake of the students' protests against the alleged high-handedness of forces.
The teaching work in all colleges across Kashmir Valley remained suspended for the third day following orders to this effect issued by Divisional Commissioner, Kashmir, Baseer Khan, officials said.
Khan on Wednesday issued directions for suspending the teaching work in all colleges of Kashmir division for two more days till Thursday as a precautionary measure.
After Monday's widespread demonstrations against the forces excesses on the students of Degree College Pulwama on Saturday, the divisional administration had issued orders for closure of Kashmir University, all colleges and higher secondary schools across the Valley for a day on Tuesday.
In the wake of the separatists' call for protests after Friday prayers, the Divisional Commissioner issued fresh orders for suspending the teaching work for two more days till April 21.
Besides, the Div Comm on Thursday issued a fresh order directing suspension of teaching work in all the Higher Secondary Institutions of the Kashmir Division on April 21 as a precautionary measure.
Meanwhile, students’ protests were reported from different parts of North Kashmir on Thursday. Reports said the students of Government Higher Secondary School Hariganiwan in Kangan took out a protest march from school and marched up to the main market. The students denounced the use of force on them and demanded action against those involved in Pulwama mayhem. Students after registering their protest dispersed peacefully.
Reports said that Army barged into Government Higher Secondary School Chatergul in Kangan area of central Kashmir’s Ganderbal district after students protesting against police crackdown on Pulwama College last week allegedly pelted stones on their camp.
Reports said that, some students allegedly pelted stones on an army camp located in the area while in retaliation, the troopers fired several shots in air to chase away the students. Later, the army men allegedly went inside the school and thrashed the students, triggering massive protests. A police official while confirming the incident said that situation was brought under control after the incident.
Eyewitnesses said that a peaceful protest of students of Nadim Memorial Higher Secondary School in Kaloosa Bandipora turned violent when police entered into the premises of the school. Students alleged that police fired tear-smoke shells inside the school premises. “Police entered the school campus and burst several tear smoke and sound shells, triggering clashes,” they said.
Witnesses added that a large number of students later on hit to roads and clashed with police. The students reportedly pelted stones on police while a stone hit a woman’s head during the clashes. The woman was rushed to hospital where her condition was stated to be stable.
In Goshbugh Pattan of North Kashmir’s Baramulla district, students from various schools hit to roads and staged a protest.
Students of Higher Secondary School Dayalgam staged protest against the arrest of some of the students. They blocked Anantnag-Dayalgam road for hours. The protesting students dispersed only after assurances given to them by ADC Anantnag that all the students will be released without any delay. The crackdown on Pulwama College last Saturday left over fifty students injured, triggering an unprecedented show of solidarity by students across Kashmir.